Thursday 11 July 2013

How to make your own Mason Jar Soap Dispenser!

I have put this DIY project off for too long and today I decided to finally tackle it and now I wish I wouldn't have waited so long! It was easier than I expected! To start off you need a mason jar, a soap pump, (I used a foam soap dispenser), marker, paper, glue (optional), spray paint (optional) and soap!

To start off I traced a hole in the top of my lid, the size of my dispenser, then I got my hubby to drill a hole in the top of the lid,

 if you don't have a drill you can use a hammer and nail,
 After he was done drilling i used wire cutters to get the hole the exact sized i needed it;

 At this point you chose whether you want to paint it or not, I chose to so do, I love for everything to co-ordinate so my black pump got a black lid, you don't have to paint it, it is just personal preference. Here is the spray paint I used, 2 coats of black and one coat of clear did a great job!


Now that you have got the paint dry it is time to insert your pump;

Some people use a hot glue gun to glue the pump into place, but i have heard that it can cause problems down the road, it tends to gunk up and stop pumping, since mine is a snug fit anyway I chose not to glue it, but you never know down the line I made need to, we shall see!
Here's a picture of someone who did glue it to give you an idea of how to get it to work.
If you do chose to paint, I suggest you don't paint your pump, try and find a pump in the color you like, cause when you paint them, they turn out like this eventually, 

All scrapped up and scratched, not very pretty :( 

I am so excited about mine! Now I want one for the kitchen, how cute are these, and it's all made with stuff you already have in the house. Now unto the soap, we love foam soap in this house, so if you want your dispenser to be a foam soap one you just need to use the pump from your foam soap dispenser! If you don't like foam soap, use a regular pump. 

I make my own foam soap in this house, it saves tons of money! Of course I love the scents from Bath and Body works, but I can't always get to the city, so this is what I use between BBW bottles;

Foam Soap Refill

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons liquid hand soap or 3 tablespoons Joy dish washing soap(for your kitchen dispenser)
2/3 cup warm water
Directions:
Gently mix soap with water. (I use a whisk to do this)
Do not shake.
Pour into foam soap dispenser.

You are ready to go!! Couldn't be easier, and here is my finished product, so pretty!!


I should have never put this DIY project off for so long, I love it and can't wait to start the kitchen one :)

(some of these pictures are not my own, I do not own them)

****UPDATE****
I got the Kitchen one done! Love it! Now I want them for the dish soap, shampoo lotion, this is going to get out of control!!

No comments:

Post a Comment