Sunday 17 January 2016

Organizing the house! Part 1 Deep Freezer & Pantry

Recently I have been thinking about our home, what area's could run more smoothly? What area's are messy? Which area's need help? I sat down and made a list of a few area's in the house that needed some help, today I got two of those areas cleaned up, here are some pictures of the progress we made today!

My Husband helped me clean out our big deep freezer, it was such a mess, we never knew what we really had available to us in there and often bought things we didn't need to, simply cause we couldn't find them.

Here are some pictures of our messy freezer!!




My hubby made me a "Freezer stick" so it can hold the big heavy door open for me! 

We had a few milk crates in the freezer already, but we needed more, we came across a pile of them in black at Walmart for 3.77$ such a great price! If you can manage to get these for free or second hand, even better! These work perfectly, they are tough enough to withstand the cold, they have handles so you can easily lift them in and out and they are big enough to fit a lot of stuff in them. 

So I made up some labels out of stock paper I had on hand and we tied them on with some string we had, these are easily removed and replaced with something else. Everyone's freezer will have different needs, in our case we used the following labels: Fish, Chicken, Beef, Deer, Veggies, Bread, Fruit, Freezer meals, Chicken Pot Pies. 

Now the crates aren't quite as long as the freezer so I used reusable grocery bags to fill the rest of the space, in one bag I have all frozen items for school lunches, muffins, and a small one for sandwich meat! Here is hoping this system works for us, if it doesn't we just have to change the labels and move things around. 

It looks so nice and neat now! 





I hope this inspires you to tackle a space in your house that just isn't working for you right now!

Now on to the Pantry

I am so happy with the after result, it will function so much better now! We call this our pantry, but technically this is a closet in one of the bedrooms that we have turned into a storage room, my hubby added all the extra shelves, to make the pantry work more efficiently for us!



I got all of these containers at the Dollar Tree, I know who knew you could get so many great containers for such a low price, each basket was 1.25$ that is awesome and some of these are really sturdy! These labels are also from the Dollar Tree, they are chalk board stickers, and it even comes with its own chalk, I love this idea, cause our pantry needs are always changing, just erase it and re-write it with whatever you need it to say!


These big baskets are perfect for the big items, chip, pretzels, and also I have plastic cereal containers in the kitchen, so I always have leftover bags of cereal, this big basket is perfect to hold all of them! 



I love for everything to have a place, I am so happy I tackled these projects today, everything looks great and functional!

Let me know if you do any organizing make overs to your home, and if you do try out the dollar Tree containers, let me know what you think! 



No comments:

Post a Comment